The Monastery of Limonos is the largest and most important monastery of Lesvos. It is located 4 km north west of Kalloni village and it is open to visitors. Dedicated to Archangel Michael, this monastery was established in the Byzantine times and it worked till the Ottomans conquered the island in 1462. It stopped working for about one century till 1526. The monastery today hosts an important library with 5,000 books that date from the 15th century until the present, rare manuscripts, ecclesiastical items, sultanate firmans, holy icons, jewelry, and many other exhibits.